Search This Blog

Monday, 23 June 2014

Moving onwards and upwards....

Well,

Following on from my last post, I've been making some more bits and bobs to go with the SSB exciter:

http://g0mgx.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/history-repeating.html

I've made the Triple Balanced Mixer:


As is becoming an apparent recurring theme, my isolation between the different ports isn't measuring as good as the author, however I can measure LO-RF and LO-IF isolation of about 40dB and more like 50dB of RF-IF isolation; which isn't at all bad.

The mixer uses 5 bifilar wound inductors, each of 12 turns on a FT37-43 and two well matched sets of diodes.

I have then added the post mixer amplifier and constructed the first of many band pass filters. This one is for 40M or 7.0 - 7.2 MHz.


Information on the filters is here:

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~ei9gq/bpf.html

which includes a link to a spreadsheet credited to John Charlton G3VRF which is an excellent calculator tool.

When I first built this filter is was too low in frequency (the yellow trace below) so I reduced the inductors by one turn each to get the purple trace. The markers are at 7.0MHz and 7.2MHz:


So the filter, at least, is now looking rather good.

I've had another good look at the exciter from last time but still I can't see why my output level is so much lower than the authors; will have to look again tomorrow!

Good, egh?

No comments:

Post a Comment