Search This Blog

Radio Guy Tees

Radio Guy Tees
Radio Guy T-Shirts

Wednesday 8 March 2017

6&4M Antenna and other Musings

Well,

I decided a while ago to remove the large 6/4M combined antenna I have - it's very big and heavy:


So, I decided a while ago to replace the 6/4M antenna with a 3 + 3 ele version that we originally bought for the UK ACs; this antenna had very little front to back so I wasn't happy with it for home. I've now decided to purchase the 4 + 4 ele version. All these antennas are from Innovantennas.

Now, I've bought quite a few antennas from them in my time - perhaps 10 or more. Every single one has had either no manual (sent by email normally), missing parts, the wrong parts or even one had the boom drilled incorrectly. This 4 + 4 ele is a bit better, it only had one broken pipe clamp. The instructions you receive from InnovAntennas are poor at best, but this example has to be the worst yet; take a look:


Now, there's something scribbled in the top right that looks like "ADD over Cap" - no idea what that means.

There's a box drawn on the 4M driven element and then scribbled out.

There's a box drawn on the 6M driven element with a scrawl that says "Plate oh tend Point" (I think this is plate at feed point) so we conclude that this was first scrawled on the 4M driven element and then crossed out.

Nothing to tell me which bolts to use where or anything resembling how to put it together.

Great antennas - rubbish quality control and instructions!

I've also continued the theme of 'scope obsession by making a circuit from W2AEW. This is a means of converting a composite video output (from say a camera) and displaying it on a 'scope screen by using the X, Y and Z inputs:



My build looks like this:


and it works a treat!

When Miss Luna Cat rolls on her back like this in front of Elmo Dog, this is interpreted, in human speak, as "thank God it's spring".


Local conditions.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder after buying 10 antennas from them with so many problems that you persisted! They are not inexpensive either. I would look at PowABeam from DXShop for built antennas, or if you want to build your own Richard G6HKS has all the parts you require. I built a 6m 4m dual banner 9 element using a combination of parts from both companies. The coaxial driven element design works nicely and is sealed where the coax joins to the element, no more painting on rubber gunk over nuts and bolts.

    ReplyDelete