Search This Blog

Sunday, 2 December 2018

Yet more Nixies!

Well,

My TEAS (Test Equipment Acquisition Syndrome) condition seems to worsen; I have acquired another Nixie frequency counter from that great auction site.

I've fiddled around with it considerably to get the internal clock to stabilise - some bright spark, maybe even the designer, has stuck a block of polystyrene (Styrofoam) over the crystal to try and maintain some temperature stability - but alas its all over the shop.

So, I've basically hacked two holes into the back of the unit and added an external reference clock input - this can be supplied by my ever faithful shack frequency reference.

So this is the unit; albeit on its side:


And here the small modification I've made:


The circuit forces whatever signal is on the input to be +ve DC - I've built it dead bug style on the back of the input BNC socket:


This is where I was poking about to find the clock output:


Using some of my other ancient test gear acquired through my TEAS condition:


Here's the result:


Lovely Jubbly.